The field campus has been used since 1933. Two Civilian
Conservation Corps (CCC) camps were established here, one in 1933, another
in 1939. Both did conservation work in the area, and constructed buildings
for the camp along the way. The camp was a US Army prisoner of war site
in WWII. In 1954, volunteer sportsmen’s groups constructed the first
of 13 cabins. Facilities include dining, sleeping, and shower accommodations
for up to 90 individuals spring through fall and 25 in the winter.
What to bring as an overnight guest.
In the Northeast, a stand of sugar maple trees managed for
maple syrup production is called a "sugarbush". Since 1957,
the sugarbush at the Arnot has grown to 2,000 taps, and more than 40 acres.
Production averages 500 gallons annually. The current industry standard
of using interconnected plastic tubing for the collection of maple sap
in a sugarbush was tested at the Arnot through the 1960’s and 70’s.
The original sugarhouse, built in 1956, is still in use today. Maple syrup
is produced at the Arnot annually from late February to early April and
visitors are welcome year round!